Passport for Minors Requirements

Apply for Passport for Minors service now!

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Call 877-304-8071 to make an appointment so you know what date your passport application can be filed. Travisa will manage this appointment for you, and you will not need to be there in person on this date.

International travel requires a passport, even for a minor child. Travelers under the age of 16 must apply for a US passport in order to travel abroad.


Proof of Citizenship:

Minors under age 16 require a certified birth certificate and proof of relationship between the child applicant and the parent(s) or guardian(s). Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship, but must also be submitted if applying for passport renewal for the child.


Photo Requirements:

Two identical passport photos (2x2 with white background). Click here for passport photograph details.


Passport Application Form:

Completed DS-11 Passport Application Form.
This form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed in the presence of an authorized agent by the applicant or applicant's parents, depending on the age of the child. Print 2 copies of the completed DS-11 form; one form must be endorsed and enclosed inside a sealed envelope and one copy attached to the outside of the sealed envelope.


Authorization Letter:

Two signed letters of authorization. Call 877-304-8071 to make an appointment and receive your application kit and letters of authorization to sign.


Proof Of Departure:

Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter stating US departure by private aircraft. One copy should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope.



You must include any previously-issued valid passports in the sealed envelope.

Houston: If you are applying for a passport on behalf of a minor without a social security number, then the applicant's parents/guardians must provide one completed No Social Security Number Declaration form found in this kit. Please note that the form must be signed by both parents.


Fee Description:

US Government Fees, Passport for Minors: $140.00 payment for the passport in the form of a check made out to the U.S Department of State and included with the DS-11 form inside the sealed envelope, and a separate $25.00 payment to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.

Mailing Instructions:

Passport applications for minors are valid for only 5 days after they are endorsed and sealed.
Please call to Travisa to make a reservation for your passport submission date before taking the following steps.

Take all of the the original documents listed above to a Clerk of Court or Authorized Post Office, keeping one copy of each document.
Ask the authorized clerk to endorse the documents and seal them in an envelope marked "TO BE OPENED BY PASSPORT OFFICE PERSONNEL ONLY." This sealed envelope must be presented to the passport office within 5 working days from execution.

In the presence of the clerk write a check for the government fee.
The US Passport check should be made out to "US Department of State", and must be included inside the sealed envelope with passport application documents.

State issued ID such as a driver's license must be presented to the clerk as proof of identity, and a copy of both sides of the photo ID must be included inside the sealed envelope.

Minors must appear in person at the post office or the courthouse for this step in the application process.
Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardian with acceptable proof of ID. Documentation must establish proof of citizenship and also proof of the relationship between the child applicant and the parent(s)/guardian(s). Previous U.S. Passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship. A photocopy of both parents’ identification must be provided along with the minor applicant’s certified birth certificate.
Note: If only one parent is able to appear, the other parent must sign a DS-3053 Statement of Consent Form.

Do not leave the endorsed passport application documents with the clerk.
Attach one photocopy of the DS-11 passport application form and all of the documents that are inside the envelope. Send this entire package to Travisa for delivery at least one day prior to the appointment date.